Sustainable Product DevelopmentBe bold and change the world one product at a time!
Brought into Abco to develop the core own brand range with a focus on sustainability as the business knew that the growth opportunity and their main point of differentiation was Enviroplus. Ready to clean the cleaning industry of nasty toxins, single use plastic and virgin paper product were the main focus of the Enviroplus brand. Now all we needed to do was find sustainable solutions to the challenge!
The commercial cleaning industry is set in it’s old habits of using disposable consumable. The number one concern of the industry is cost which makes it very hard to implement renewable and environmentally solutions as these always come at a higher price.
To bring forth lasting change we would need to develop high performance products be price competitive with what is currently being used in the market.
Through collaboration with sustainble leaders in various field we can all make a significant difference to our own industry.
- Through Facebook I came across a start based plastic bag and investigated this more. As the ban of single use plastic bags hit the supermarket in 2018, the cleaning industry need to realise that they are next and opt for a more sustainable alternative corn starch based plastic bag, We engaged in a partnership with BioBag one of the leaders in this field to develop a range of plastic bags for the cleaning industry.
- Sugar Cane Paper not Bamboo. Through my research I discovered that bamboo paper does not disintegrate fast and causes pipe blockage which is a big problem. I also came several companies across the world looking for alternative paper source such as sugarcane and even recycled cotton.
- Biological bacterial cleaning solution, in the past decade there has been some breakthrough in chemical research and finding that the high level of allergies is mainly caused by cleaning agents. By using harsh cleaning agents all the time we are not allowing beneficial bacteria to do their job. Just like in our guts, our environment also need a good balance of good and bag bacteria. With a range of cleaning solution developed with microbial, antimicrobial, plant extract and enzyme technology Enviroplus is at the forefront of sustainable cleaning. During my time at Abco we launched the Bioactive Toilet Paper, A toilet Tissue impregnated with positive enzyme that activate in the pipes to break down organic matter and a range of cleaning concentrates designed to clean surfaces using good bacteria instead of harsh chemicals which is better for the cleaners and the planet.
Innovation always brings in sales growth and high margin
Being the first to bring to market these products meant that Abco could benefit from exclusivity in the market:
- Enviroplus sales growth 55%
- Consumer loyalty as there no alternative in the market
- Value added for B2B clients participating in government tender
- Leading the way in sustainable cleaning practices
Ready for a sustainable growth strategy?